Dental care for the future
This advice must only be followed once the all clear has been given from either the veterinary nurse or vet.
Frequent plaque removal will help prevent periodontal disease and tooth brushing is considered the single most effective method of removing plaque. It is important to use a toothbrush and toothpaste that are designed for pets. Here is some helpful advice to follow when first starting to brush your pets teeth;
- Start off by gently stroking the outside of your pets cheeks with your finger only(no brush) and slowly lift the lip for about thirty seconds. Reward, praise and treat at the end of the session.
- On day two repeat as above and also place a small amount of toothpaste on the end of your finger and let your pet sample it.
- On day three repeat day 2 but this time gently run your finger or finger toothbrush and a small amount of toothpaste over your pets teeth for 30-45 seconds. Reward with praise and a treat.
- Repeat day 3 adding 15 seconds time to running your finger or finger toothbrush over your pets teeth. Reward and praise.
- If all is going well run your finger over their teeth for 30 seconds and then gently insert the toothbrush and again run over the teeth for 30 seconds.
- Repeat as day 5 and increase the time by 30 seconds.
- By this time you should be aiming to spend at least one minute on each side of the mouth.
Remember that this is anew experience for your pet. Praising your pet will help them accept the experience. You will have to be patient with the process, as it will take your pet time to get used to this. Try to make the experience fun, as they will associate the tooth brushing with the praise.
- If there are any signs of aggression stop immediately. Call the practice for further advice.
- Do not use human toothpaste as it is designed for humans only. This may cause stomach upsets with your pet if used.
Other things that may help is feeding your pet a dry diet and dental chews as this helps remove plaque. If you need any advice please call the surgery on the above number.